Monday, April 16, 2007

SLOWLY BUT SURELY

Last weekend was a very interesting one, saturday was particularly interesting for me because it was the first time in my life i was voting! I made up my mind that i was going to, come what may. As i entered the school compound which served as the polling centre and made my way to the queue, a middle aged man approached me and asked to see the code on my voters' card so he could help me locate the exact queue i was to join. I told him not to bother and that i could read and find my way around. I then realized he and many of his guys had offered to help others and of course, had the illiterates and oldies as their target, they even told them exactly what spot on the ballot paper to thumbprint! I looked around and saw that majority of the people at that polling centre were unread (maybe it also has to do with the area where i live o!), the INEC officials didn't look happy doing the work and looked far from being comfortable, they were definitely broke and would jump at any opportunity to make some money. Some people beside me started arguing at a point and the supervising INEC official told everyone to pack up and go home, meanwhile, there were policemen around who were gisting at a distance. You could see indifference in everyone. No one cared if things went well. I saw how much poverty and deprivation had eaten into their thinking, it's a mindset that doesn't think long term and it will take years to change. I sometimes catch myself thinking some thoughts which i know are not products of a liberated mind. Nigeria has a long way to go and slowly but surely, we'll get there. When our minds are liberated, then we can make accurate decisions.

I went to visit a friend yesterday who told me that at her own polling centre, someone's ballot paper was snatched from him by an INEC official and dropped into the ballot box because he was making to thumbprint a party which was against what he favoured. I was enraged! I thought INEC was meant to take a neutral stand in this process. The results of the Governorship election for my state is yet to be out because of attempts to rig it, they decided to make it a do or die affair. Several people have been killed. But generally, i'm encouraged. We're gradually migrating from having touts as leaders, i'm sure more intelligent leaders with proven experience in managing people and resources will step out to contest in the next election. Some people said the elections were rigged. Is it possible to have a leader in power when God has not put him there? even if He gets there, he'll be out before you know it, all God needs to do is snap a finger!

Have a great week!

No comments: